Blog Archive

Saturday, September 28, 2013

What's out there weekend in the Berkshires with The Cultural Landscape Foundation: The Mount, Edith Wharton's home (and my dormitory in 10th grade at Foxhollow School)

The stable. There was no ticket booth when I went here. Also, all surrounding area was completely overgrown. Between the gatehouse entrance and the main house was originally the wild or woodland area, designed by Edith's niece Beatrix Farrand.

Next in line to be restored. It is used for theatrical performances now.

Beautifully maintained woodland area leading up to house.


Front of stable seen through trees on walk to house.


Nature's perfection. Even I couldn't do a better job: vinca and ferns. Wonder if they have trillium in the spring?




The Mount has used this area to exhibit sculpture by local artists. This was the only one I cared for: a huge, un-bent paper clip.


First view of house. My heart was in my mouth. I've had nightmares about this place since 1966. It never looked this good when I lived here.



I had never seen a courtyard without foundation plantings. It seemed strange. We had to use servant's entrance to right of courtyard wall.

Top middle window was my room.





Path around side of house to get to garden.


Who knew there was all this property down there on other side of house? It was completely overgrown, and we weren't allowed to go on that side anyway.


Notice the grass steps. Apparently one of the hardest parts of restoration. There are no risers, just sod!

Pleached Lime walk bordered by arborvitae, not boxwood.

Perennial garden...

... with water feature, of course.








If I were doing maintenance here myself, I couldn't do a better job. Okay, maybe I pulled up one or two little weeds.


I sort of love the fact that there is no bench in the clam shell. I guess if Edith wanted to sit or have lunch in the garden the servants would bring out a little table and chairs.











Lime walk






Conical-shaped arborvitae leading into sunken garden which is the only part of the garden that existed when I was there. It too was overgrown.

Miss Kim lilac between conical and hedge arborvitae.

Sunken Italian garden with sweet Autumn clematis in bloom on wall. Also climbing hydrangea and Virginia Creeper growing on walls.
















I was completely dazzled! I am so proud to be a tiny part of this. Long live St. Edith.

No comments:

Post a Comment